LIPCHITZ & PHILADELPHIA BULLETIN
This exhibition catalogue examines the special relationship between Jacques Lipchitz (1891-1973) and the city of Philadelphia. The artist's involvement with the city spanned more than 50 years, beginning in 1922, when Dr. Albert C. Barnes commissioned him to execute bas-reliefs for the Barnes Foundation building in nearby Merion, and culminating in 1976, when Lipchitz's monumental sculpture Government of the People was posthumously unveiled near City Hall. During the last three decades of his life, following his move to the United States in 1941, Lipchitz was a frequent visitor to Philadelphia, where he received major commissions for public sculpture, was twice honored by the Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts, and had an important retrospective exhibition at the Philadelphia Museum of Art in 1964.
The text by Michael R. Taylor is extensively illustrated with the outstanding works by Lipchitz found throughout the area, including at the Philadelphia Museum of Art, whose already impressive holdings of his art—the largest collection outside of Israel—were further enriched by the recent gift of 5 sculptures from the Jacques and Yulla Lipchitz Foundation in honor of the institution's 125th Anniversary. A checklist of the works in the exhibition completes the publication.
Michael R. Taylor is The Muriel and Philip Berman Curator of Modern Art, Philadelphia Museum of Art.
Scholarly Journals Award 2005, AAM Museum Publications Design Competition
52 pages, 40 illustrations (28 in full color), 11" x 8"
Softcover ISBN: 0-87633-182-7
|send to a friend||print notes|